Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Venues » UK Venues

Post subject: Furnace lakes fishery
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 pm 
C-F Member
C-F Member

I have read the previous posts with people who like this place as well as people who dont, I have been asked to go there this weekend and would like to know anything about it, does anybody know what bottom it is (Roman) and any tips for the place. I know all about its inhabitants and the quad bike drop off as well as the fact that it gets really busy, anything else would be much appreciated. :D

Post subject: Re: Furnace lakes fishery
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Bottom is clay though how much is clear depends on the weed.

I go with a disabled mate of mine once/twice a year and the best approach I've found is to fish very tight to the island at the far end of Roman. I found by actually dropping the bait just onto the island and then nudging it off into the margin, you can take advantage of the fish using the overhang there. More than a foot off the island and takes dropped off dramatically (shelf drops off sharply after about two feet or so). I use a small breadcrumb stik using slow melt mesh for the purpose, with just a few broken freebies along the margin, fished running/slack. Heathrow baits Red Indian freezer baits have done well for me on this lake.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 pm 
C-F Member
C-F Member

Thanks alot, have you had any decent sized catches from there? from what I hear its mainly big in the Roman.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:20 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Had a couple of low 30's and a good few mid/upper 20's over about half a dozen trips there.

To be honest mate I can't take the place too seriously, the swims are way too crowded together and whilst sitting there it feels to me like I'm dangling in a fish tank. I only visit there because the access is good for my friend who is wheelchair bound. Each to their own of course.

You'll likely find that most anglers are fishing tight lines to the island, so don't discount the margins as there are plenty opportunities close in.

Good luck.

Board index » Venues » UK Venues