Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Carp-Forum » Main Carp Forum

Post subject: Korda Flying Back Leads Line Damage
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I started useing Korda Flying Back Leads last year the lake i am fishing has swan musels in it. I was fishing one of the swims there i had a take and was playing the 25lb+ to the net and my line went. When i checked my line it was shredded badly i put this down to the swan mussels the next day i lost 3 carp within half an hour one all 3 of my rods the line was shredded. Again i put this down to the swan mussels damaging my line which is Kryston-ite 15lb. Last weekend i fished another lake which is silty and no snags or gravel bars. When after a couple of casts i saw my line had yet again had some damage to it on a closer look it was shredded yet again no i so now i know its the back leads causeing damage to my line. Pictures are below. Gary

And if your lucky, You might even get to touch it.

Gary Gadget

Post subject: Re: Korda Flying Back Leads Line Damage
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:38 pm 
Nevill Park MOD
Nevill Park MOD

Never had an issue with the Kordas ones (other than they kept falling off :roll:)

As it's a plastic inner I would of thought it was impossible for the line to be damaged?

Never heard of flying backleads cutting you off?. Sure it wasn't a damaged section of line you missed?

Strange one that!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

the inner sleve has a grove in it on the Korda ones, perhaps that got caught somehow ? I moved on to the fox ones for precisely this reason as they have ptfe coated 1 piece inners. Granted you have to cut the line to put them on but it is worth it for the peace of mind. I also find that mountain them backwards is the best way else they come back too far

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:18 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

hi Gary

I was getting the same problem though out the winter good job I didn’t get any runs try opening the plastic slit abit more with a Stanley or something like that. it has stopped fooking my line now but take care doing so because I cut my thumb all the best m8
hh)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:28 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

bin them and forget all about flying backleads would be my advice. endless possibilities for it to go wrong...

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:41 pm 
Nevill Park MOD
Nevill Park MOD

Another flawed Korda product :roll: . I used 'em last summer and put my cut offs down to the Catfish surging off and pinging the knots. Bloody frustrating when you are lucky to have 5-10 fish a year

Now I have my explanation!

This Korda lark is getting funnier by the day :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Maybe there was some dirt inside the backlead at one time ?

I don´t use a flying backlead.

I use match anglers´leads, drop-shaped, with a plastic tubing inside. I put a big rubber bead above that to prevent damage of the top rod ring, when reeling in at night.

You get a bunch of them leads a few quid and you have a good variety to play with for that price. And you can even colour them, if you like.

A flying backlead can lead to a disadvantage, even. When the bottom is not flat it can even stretch the line above some indentations in the lake-bed.

The one I use does fly a little, but not much.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:21 am 
C-F Member
C-F Member

I found this also. I had used the fox flying backleads for years but saw these and thought they were a good idea as you can take them off and on as you please.

First take picked rod up and ping! This was on a snagless water I had fished a number of times before, this kind of thing just doesn't happen! It wasn't until I bought the other rods in that I realised it was the Korda flying backleads that were damaging the line in much the same way as the photos!

Went straight back to the Fox ones and never had any problems since.

The last couple of purchases from Korda have been poor with these flying back leads that damage line and adrenaline that floats!

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:26 pm 
C-F Member
C-F Member

surprised to read about flying backleads damaging line, i use the korda ones myself and i've never had any trouble with them, i'll be sure to check the next ones i buy carefully :wink:

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 am 
C-F Member
C-F Member

well

not used the korda ones yet, dont think i will now, and i bought some the other day.

i have used ones the same as the fox ones before and they always travel up my line when reelin in/playin fish and go through my tip eye, on one occasion it went through and shattered my butt ring eye on my NG, so i stopped usin them

friend was buyin some of tyhe fox ens the other day and i asked why he stopped usin the korda ones, and he said they were wearin groves in the plastic from the line.

so i bought the fox ones thinkin the new inner thing would help.

it didnt, started riding up the line first time i reeled in so i was bouncing the rod to make it drop down the line to the lead, dont want another £40 bill for another new eye, so the fox ones have been binned.

anyone got any others to recomend?

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:35 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

I use the following:

It´s a normal inline lead used for float fishing (it has a plastic tubing), painted green and a Fox Rig Bead above (to avoid rod ring damage).
Those leads don´t slide too far over short distance fishing, but enough for me. When you are casting towards the horizon they do slide back a few yards.

Never had any problems this way and you have an awful lot of sizes to choose from. I usually use 5 to 15 Grams.

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

You have got me totally confused..... I can't see how that bead could stop any rod ring damage or how indeed you would get any damage anyway unless you tried to reel that green lead through your tip ring :?:

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Bream_Boy wrote:
You have got me totally confused..... I can't see how that bead could stop any rod ring damage or how indeed you would get any damage anyway unless you tried to reel that green lead through your tip ring :?:

That´s the whole point of the setup. ;)

The angle of the rod/line makes it really hard to reel in further than the bead.

It´s just in case I reel in at night, half asleep, and forget about the lead.

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 am 
Life Time Member!
Life Time Member!

Ah I get you, I think.

The method is about the most tangle free set up ever I can't really see the need for any tubing. If you ditched the tubing and use a mono that sinks you could also do away with the back lead and the bead.

I personally have gopne right off flying back leads for various reasons, all I ever use now is either a few blobs of putty or a tiny loop of leadcore outer looped over the line and held together with putty or plasticene - although this gets used as a "standard" backlead as opposed to a flier.

Best way to negate the use of any back leads is to get a decent sinking mainline.

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:52 pm 
C-F Member (100+posts)
C-F Member (100+posts)

Oh, I just had this picture with the method. I just use the tubing every time, in any situation (except when using a running lead)

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:26 pm 
Foreign Venues MOD
Foreign Venues MOD

Why not just mould a bit of tungsten putty to the line at 8 inch intervals for about 3 foot up the line from the lead. :wink:

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:38 am 
C-F Member
C-F Member

using flying backleads on a lake that full of swan mussels :x

theres your answer, starring you in the face, every situation needs to be thought about, dont just use a load of 'bits', think about what your fishing over and set up accordingly ...

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'd just avoid them altogether, they seem to go wrong constantly - moving parts are bound to. They will pick up and trap grit etc and scrape it against the line, and they add to resistance. If I have to use backleads, I'll use static ones with large, low friction rings.

Board index » Carp-Forum » Main Carp Forum